Sometimes you just need your Mexican food mix. But unfortunately most Mexican food can add on calories and carbs pretty fast. However, our Mermaid Taco Salad is healthy and nutritious with its all-natural ingredients. You really don’t need any store-bought dressings or chips in there. But if you do want a little crunch, you can try adding low carb tortilla chips or strips, or get some tortilla bowls to serve the salad in. If you have your own Salsa recipe, great…any variety you like will work fine here. Or we have our own Salsa recipe you can follow here. You could also add any other salad dressing (avocado, ranch, etc.) – we have several recipes here.
You can easily customize this healthy taco salad recipe to your liking. Feel free to throw in any other veggies you have on hand and certainly omit anything you don’t like. You could also substitute spicy chicken for the ground beef. We like them both and have shown both versions here.
Ingredients (Makes about 4 servings)
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Avocado Oil (or Olive Oil will work as well)
- 2 tbsp Taco seasoning (store-bought or home-made)
- 1 tsp Land & SEAsoning
- 8 oz Romaine lettuce (chopped)
- 1 1/3 cup Grape tomatoes (halved)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar cheese (shredded) or you can use shredded Colby Jack
- 3/4 cup black beans (drained)
- 1/2 cup cubed fresh tomatoes
- 1 medium Avocado (optional/cubed)
- 1/2 cup Scallions (chopped)
- 1/4 cup black olives (optional/sliced)
- 1/3 cup Salsa (or a Salad Dressing)
- 1/3 cup Sour cream (optional)
- Heat oil in a skillet over high heat. Add ground beef. Stir fry, breaking up the pieces with a spatula, for about 7 to 10 minutes, until the beef is browned and moisture has evaporated.
- Stir taco seasoning into the ground beef until well combined. Add the Land & SEAsoning. Add about a ¼ cup of water to blend in the seasoning well.
- Meanwhile, combine all remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add the ground beef. Toss everything together.
Season two or three boneless, skinless chicken breasts (depending on size) with your taco seasoning and the Land & SEAsoning. Grill until chicken is done. Cut up into strips or cubes and use instead of the ground beef.