Many people like to prepare a New Year’s Day brunch, and Bloody Mary’s just seem to go with it. After all, the champagne drinking will be done the night before as the clock ticks down to 2019, so no need for a Mimosa for New Year’s Day brunch. And sometimes as the saying goes, you need to “bite the hair of the dog that bit you.”
So with New Year’s Day coming next week, we’ve changed up a traditional Bloody Mary recipe for you by using our Land & SEAsonings spice mix. This will boost both the flavor and nutrition of a Bloody Mary. Besides tasting delicious, our mix has many benefits including: it supports a healthy gut; is high in antioxidants; and reduces inflammation (+ many more benefits!). Ingredients of our mix include: Organic seaweed powder, Hawaiian sea salt, Dried Hawaiian Seaweed, Raw nori flakes, Mushroom blend, Onion powder, Tumeric, Cumin, Coriander, Garam masala blend, and Roasted red chili powder. The recipe yields 4 cocktails.
- 32 ounces (4 cups) tomato juice* (preferably from a glass bottle, tastes better)
- 8 ounces (1 cup) of your favorite vodka
- 2 ounces of fresh lime juice
- 1 medium-to-large cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons of Land & SEAsonings spice mix
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Lots of ice, for serving
- Garnishes (choose any or put a fun combination together): Tender celery stalks, mini bell peppers, asparagus stalk, cornichons or gherkins, pickled okra, cocktail onion, cherry tomato and/or green cocktail olives. Also, since it’s brunch, try adding a crispy piece of bacon or a cold piece of shrimp.
- In a blender, combine the tomato juice*, vodka, fresh lime juice, cucumber, Worcestershire sauce and the Land & SEAsonings spice mix. Securely fasten the lid and blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Taste, and if you prefer, add a little more of the Land & SEAsonings spice mix for taste and for more heat (it might taste quite intense now, since the mixture hasn’t cooled over ice yet).
- On a small shallow dish, mix 1 part Land & SEAsonings mix with 3 parts Kosher salt. Run a lime wedge over the rim of each serving glass (a Collins glass or highball glass), and then lightly dip the rims into the mixture.
- Fill up the glass with ice and pour the mixture over it. Garnish the glass with a wedge of lemon or lime, and your preferred garnish. Serve immediately.
*To make an even healthier and tastier Bloody Mary cocktail, try making your own tomato juice base. Just add six peeled and diced tomatoes (or you can substitute 2 cans of Plain Diced Tomatoes if you prefer). Puree in a blender until smooth, then chill in the fridge for at least an hour. Then make your Bloody Mary following the steps listed above.
Enjoy, and have a happy and healthy New Year!