Gazpacho is such a healthy and tasty summer treat for lunch, or as a dinner appetizer. This watermelon variation is the perfect combination of savory and sweet and it’s full of all-natural fresh ingredients. This is based on more traditional Spanish-style, with the olive oil, sherry vinegar and a little bread for thickening. So tasty, so healthy, so fresh!
(Makes 4 to 6 servings depending on size of bowl you use)
- 1.5 pounds fresh watermelon (seedless)
- 3 large Roma tomatoes, halved and cored*
(*Scoop out and discard the seeds and any tough white core)
- 1 small (1/2 pound) cucumber, peeled and seeded
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled
- 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/3 cup basil leaves (or you can substitute fresh mint leaves)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Land & SEAsoning spice mix
- 1 thick slice of white bread, soaked, crusts removed*
(*Cut away the crust and then run the slice of bread under flowing water in the sink for a second to soak with water, ring it out and add to the other ingredients)
- Combine all ingredients together in a blender or food processor. Puree for 1 minute, or until the soup reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and season with extra salt, pepper and/or Land & SEAsoning if needed.
- Refrigerate in a sealed container for 4 hours, or until completely chilled (can be kept for two days).
- Serve cold, topped with your desired garnishes which might include a drizzle of olive oil, and a basil or mint leaf.
- Some optional other toppings could also include:
- Chopped green pepper, red onion, and cucumber
- A small watermelon ball or small wedge on side of bowl
- Chopped crabmeat, avocado, and roasted corn
- Capers, and red onion
- A pinch of Nori Flakes
- Plain Greek yogurt (or tzatziki sauce)
- A small wedge of lime
- Lemon zest
P.S. Read about the top 9 Health Benefits of Eating Watermelon.